Our wonderful 2015 chef, Micah Conkling, was a master at coming up with vegetarian/vegan dishes that pleased everyone.... other than the one girl who famously asked "where's the meat?" when faced with his menu the first night of her program....she came around by the end of the week. Micah had to leave us to teach in the Bahama's (poor guy!) and we all suffered extreme withdrawal from missing him AND his recipes. The first one that we finally pleaded with him to send us was his peanut noodles, which he was quick to credit to his brother James for giving him the inspiration for the recipe.
- 3 tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 c. cornmeal
- 1/2 c. tamari
- 2 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 c. broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 c. crunchy peanut butter
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 packages rice noodles, 1 tbsp. salt, and 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Saute the cabbage in the oils in a large skillet, adding the cornmeal, tamari, red pepper flakes, ginger, and sugar after the cabbage begins to soften.
- Add the broccoli after a few more minutes.
- Stir in the peanut butter and coconut milk, then remove from heat after all the ingredients have been incorporated.
- In a large pot, cook the noodles according to the package directions with the salt and sesame oil.
- Combine the peanut sauce with the noodles.