Join us for Family Weekend in 2018!
The Hurricane Island Center for Science and Leadership is excited to be hosting its second Family Weekend June 29th-July 1st, 2018! The 2017 weekend was such a big hit we decided to offer another opportunity for families to join us on the island. This weekend is for families to unplug and experience our off-shore and off-the-grid island together as they explore, learn, and connect with each other and other families. Science programming options will be offered each day and families will also have time to play along the shore line, hike our trails, and even jump off our pier to take a quick swim in the ocean. Come join our island community and make memories that will last a lifetime.
When is Family Weekend 2018?
- The dates for Family Weekend 2018 are Friday, June 29th through Sunday, July 1st. The boat to Hurricane will depart Rockland at 4:30 on Friday, arriving on Hurricane at 5:30. The boat to the mainland will depart Hurricane at 2:30 on Sunday.
What is the cost?
- Children under 3 are FREE!
- This cost includes all transportation between Rockland and Hurricane Island, all food and housing (with the exception of the extra cabin cost, if applicable), all programming, and all facilities use during the weekend.
What happens during a Family Weekend at Hurricane Island?
- Fun, fun, fun for the whole family!
- Hurricane activities (tidepooling, hiking, climbing, and more)
- Evening activities (campfire, games, astronomy)
Who can come?
- Families with children of all ages
- Immediate family members only.
Where do we stay?
- Families are housed together as a family unit either in the bunkhouse or in one of our private cabins (extra cost of $15/person/night). If you are interested in this option, please contact our Program Director, Phoebe Jekielek, at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about availability.
- Our bunkhouse and cabins do not have their own bathrooms, all bathrooms are shared and found centrally in our shower house.
- Families in the bunkhouse will have their own room together separate from other families.
- Families will need to bring their own sleeping bags and pillows, we do not provide bedding.
- Hurricane Island is a non-smoking and alcohol-free facility.
- We regularly accommodate a variety of dietary requirements and are happy to discuss ways we can ensure you and your family are provided full meals that meet all your needs.
How do we get there??
- We provide all transportation between Hurricane Island and our mainland office in Rockland via our chartered Coast Guard inspected and captained vessel.